- Erik M. Shapiro, Ph.D.
- Andrea Bozoki, M.D.
- Joseph Carlson, Ph.D.
- Assaf Gilad, Ph.D.
- Roger Haut, Ph.D.
- Jie Huang, Ph.D.
- Eric P. Kasten, Ph.D.
- Anna Moore, Ph.D.
- Ronald Meyer, Ph.D.
- Galit Pelled, Ph.D.
- Chunqi Qian, Ph.D.
- Jill Slade, Ph.D.
- Ping, Wang, M.D., Ph.D.
- Feng Wei, Ph.D.
- Robert Wiseman, Ph.D.
- David C. Zhu, Ph.D.
- Kurt R. Zinn, Ph.D.
Joseph Carlson, Ph.D.
Department of Radiology
846 Service Rd Rm 184
B.S.: Nutrition, Dietetics, Michigan State University
M.A.: Exercise Science, Michigan State University
Ph.D.: Kinesiology; cognate Nutrition, Michigan State University
Post-Doctoral Fellowship; Stanford University School of Medicine, Center for Research in Disease Prevention, Nutrition and Cardiovascular Disease Prevention; Safety and Effectiveness of Dietary Supplements
Nutrition and physical activity interventions and cardiovascular health status and in children. We are in our 6th year of delivering (S)Partners for Heart Health Project. SPartners is a school and web-based intervention for promoting heart healthy nutrition & physical activity to sustain or achieve a desirable CVD risk factor status in 5th grade public school students. We target low income schools via partnerships with MSU Extension and elective service learning credit for allied health profession students and COM and CHM medical students. We have developed partnerships to deliver the intervention with other colleges and universities including Alma College, Saginaw Valley State University, and Oakland University.
Role of nutrition on training, performance and cardiovascular health in youth and collegiate athletes. Specifically, our group has done work with the Spartan Nutrition and Performance Program (SNAPP) for MSU athletics evaluating the CVD risk factor status of overweight and obese (based on BMI) collegiate athletes compared to BMI matched less active non-athlete students.
List of awards:
Fellow - American Association of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation 2004- present
AACVPR Scientific Advisory Council and Editorial board 2007-12;
- Suton D, Pfeiffer KA, Feltz DL, Yee KE, Eisenmann JC, Carlson JJ Physical Activity and Self Efficacy In Normal and Over-Fat Children. American Journal of Health Behavior 2013 Sep;37(5):635-640; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.37.5.7
- Drenowatz C, Carlson JJ, Pfeiffer KA, Eisenmann JC. Joint association of physical activity/screen time and diet on CVD risk factors in 10-year-old children; Frontiers of Medicine. 2012, 6(4): 428–435 DOI 10.1007/s11684-012-0232-4
- Carlson JJ, Eisenmann JJ, Norman GJ, Ortiz KA, Young PC. Dietary Fiber and Nutrient Density Are Inversely Associated with the Metabolic Syndrome in US Adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nov 2011; 111: 1688-1695.
- Carlson JJ, Turpin AA, Weibke G, Hunt SC, Adams TD. Pre- and Postprandial Appetite Hormone Levels in Normal Weight and Severely Obese Women. Nutrition and Metabolism, 2009,6:32; doi:10.1186/1743-7075-6-32
- Carlson JJ, Eisenmann JC, Pfeiffer KA, Jager KB, Sehnert ST, Yee, KE, Klavinski R, Feltz DL. (S)Partners for Heart Health: a school-based program for enhancing physical activity and nutrition to promote cardiovascular health in 5th grade students. BMC Public Health 2008, 8:420; 1-12.
Other Departmental/Program Affiliations:
Co-director, Spartan Nutrition & Performance Program